Grow fresh Apple Mint at home!
Apple mint (Mentha suaveolens) is a lovely, aromatic mint plant that has many fantastic culinary, medicinal and decorative properties. Apple mint, like many other varieties in the mint family, is rich in essential oils that have antiseptic properties.
The delicate flavor of Apple mint works best in fresh, uncooked preparations. Add to cocktails, mocktails and tea. Add whole or chopped leaves to popsicles, sorbets and ice cubes. Use to make sauces or herb rubs for poultry, lamb and seafood. Roughly chop Apple mint and add to chutney, dressings, jelly or brine when pickling.
Click & Grow Apple Mint benefits:
- Easy to grow in you Click & Grow Smart Garden
- You'll get a garden-to-plate experience in your own kitchen
- No pesticides, herbicides or GMO's added - you'll get organic, clean herbs
- Easiest way to grow vitamin-rich greens at home
- Superior taste and aroma
Sprouts in: 7 - 14 days
Harvest in: 5 - 12 weeks
Grows best at: 64°F – 86°F
- No need to thin the pods, allow all seedlings to thrive.
- It may appear to grow slowly at the beginning. Once it gets going, it will quickly produce a lot of stems and provides multiple yields.
- In approximately one month it should be ready for its first harvesting. Continue harvesting by cutting off the stems until the pod reaches its 'lasts up to' date.
- It grows best with one lamp arm. So, as soon as it starts reaching the lamp, cut the stem back strongly. Cutting also encourages new growth, which means more produce for you to enjoy!
- Tip to prevent food waste! Apple mint is great for drying and can be used later to brew tea. Just lay the leaves on a paper towel, allow them to dry for a few days and then store them in a jar for up to a year.